A Mix of Business and... Motherhood
I often get asked about running a business while having small children (if you consider 7 and 4 years olds “small”). Below are a few things I’ve learned in the last 6 years…
Being Flexible (a mantra for the #momlife)
- Have you heard the saying, “stay firm in goals, but flexible in your approach?” As parents, we know a day can unravel in a heartbeat, but with flexibility things can still get accomplished.
- Remember that goals can still be accomplished - even though it may not be the way it would have happened prior to having kiddos.
- Sometimes products/services can change as your family evolves. Did you know White Loft started out making crib sheets?! They were very time consuming, while caring for my 18 month old, and just weren’t selling. I noticed my lone growth chart product was getting more attention, and frankly, I liked making them more. So farewell crib sheets… #flexibility
- It takes a village — and that applies to your business as well. I’ve found a huge boost of support from welcoming FB groups made for, in my case, makers/artist/entrepreneurship. People are truly looking to give help (and constructive criticism).
Through one local FB group, I found my “business bestie” - who is only a text away for questions, opinions, etc. and a great friend!
Look Out for Opportunities
- “Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” Ain’t that the truth! Honestly, keep your eyes and hears open. I responded to a vague FB post requesting wall decor for a “project” — to learn later it was an HGTV designer sourcing items for a pilot show!
- Can’t pour from an empty cup… Make sure you can fill your own cup, so you can happily help others (aka your kids!) in your life! A few of my ideas have been setting work hours, taking a walk, treating yourself to your favorite coffee, or pampering yourself with an item from Latika Soap (Pssst… for 20% off use code: LAUREN20)
“Clear eyes. Full heart. Can’t lose.”
- Go into it with a can’t lose attitude! Honestly, believing in yourself is half the battle.
- Keep the faith and have confidence, even when things are bleak. I’ve been there. Self doubt is hard. But we can do hard things!
Need a reminder of that? Print one of these, and keep it by your desk!
In closing, remember why you started, and when you wanted what you currently have. Think about that for a minute… ;)